Volunteer with us
The Big Bang Fair is the largest celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) for young people in the UK. Everything we do is aimed at showing young people (primarily aged 7-19) how many exciting and rewarding opportunities there are out there for them with the right experience and qualifications.
We need 100 volunteers each day to support us in the smooth running of The Fair and to ensure that our young visitors have an inspiring experience. With almost 80,000 visitors over 4 days in 2018, The Big Bang Fair simply couldn’t run without the support of our amazing volunteers.
Applications are still open!
With your passion and energy, you can help open the eyes of young girls and boys to what they can accomplish in STEM.
Volunteering opportunities across 1 to 4 days range from leading volunteer teams and delivering hands-on activities, to sharing careers inspiration and judging student projects.
Over 95% of our volunteers would recommend volunteering with us to a friend or colleague.
When you volunteer with us you will:
- Have a rewarding experience making a difference to young people
- Show young people how their studies could lead to a career in STEM
- Benefit from extensive networking opportunities, joining an enthusiastic team of people
- Be an active part of exceptional educational event
- Develop your teamworking and leadership skills
Most importantly, you will have a fun day!
We very much look forward to working with you.
Our volunteers play a vital role in making The Big Bang Fair a massive success. We are looking for volunteers who are friendly, reliable and enjoy working with young people.
Click on the role title to view a full description of the volunteering tasks and skills required to do them.
At The Fair (The NEC, Birmingham, 13-16 March 2019)
- Activities volunteer to help us ensure our activities at The Fair are facilitated in an engaging and inspirational way.
- Events volunteer to work closely with our events team ensuring that our visitors have a great experience at The Fair.
- Research and evaluation volunteer. As a part of the evaluation team, you would be responsible for helping us gather information from young people, parents and teachers about their experience of the fair, their views on STEM education and their perceptions of engineering careers.
- Team Leader to support and motivate other volunteers at The Fair, enhancing their experience, and working closely with staff members to achieve this.
- Careers Captain to help run the activities in the Careers Cabin and assist visitors with the Big Bang Challenge, helping young visitors gain a greater understanding of STEM careers.
- STEM Panellist to act as role models and participate in our 20-minute STEM career talks in the Careers Cabin.
- Big Bang Competition Judge to celebrate and assess the Big Bang Competition finalist projects in your area of STEM expertise on 13 March 2019.
- Robotics Challenge Judge to evaluate and reward Tomorrow’s Engineers EEP Robotics Challenge UK finalists on 15 March 2019. View the locations for the regional events here >
What's new at the Careers Cabin?
We want to make the Careers activities visible and available to even more young people at The Fair. To this end, we have designed a new Careers Cabin with the STEM careers show and the Big Bang Challenge at the heart of it.
Interactive STEM careers show (STEM Panellists)
Young people will hear from a diverse range of scientists and engineers who do inspiring jobs and will find out where they could be in a few years’ time if they continue with maths, science, computing, D&T and other relevant subjects. Shows take place on the stage and last for approximately 20 minutes. These informal talks, which take place at intervals throughout the day, will be hosted by a presenter (Fayon Dixon) in front of an audience of up to 100 visitors. Each talk will involve a panel of 3 scientists and engineers being interviewed about what they do. Please read the requirements for this role.
Big Bang Challenge (Careers Captains)
When visitors arrive at The Fair they will be given a Big Bang Challenge pack, giving them the chance to win an amazing prize. It is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual looking to inspire our young visitors, interacting with them about STEM careers in a fun and informal way. Careers Captains will help young visitors to take part in a career focused challenge based on exploring different careers in STEM. This will be a combination between the Careers Captain and the STEM inspiration roles as volunteers will be talking to young people about their jobs/courses/apprenticeships.
Yes! We aim to give all our volunteers a unique experience at The Big Bang Fair. We will provide you with training and support throughout your volunteering role.
For more details about the support we give to our volunteers, please check our Role Descriptions.