Volunteer with us
The Big Bang Fair is the largest celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) for young people in the UK. Everything we do is aimed at showing young people (primarily aged 7-19) how many exciting and rewarding opportunities there are out there for them with the right experience and qualifications.
We need 100 volunteers each day to support us in the smooth running of The Fair and to ensure that our young visitors have an inspiring experience. With almost 80,000 visitors over 4 days in 2018, The Big Bang Fair simply couldn’t run without the support of our amazing volunteers.
Applications are open until 25 November!
With your passion and energy, you can help open the eyes of young girls and boys to what they can accomplish in STEM.
Volunteering opportunities across 1 to 4 days range from leading volunteer teams and delivering hands-on activities, to sharing careers inspiration and judging student projects.
Over 95% of our volunteers would recommend volunteering with us to a friend or colleague.
When you volunteer with us you will:
- Have a rewarding experience making a difference to young people
- Show young people how their studies could lead to a career in STEM
- Benefit from extensive networking opportunities, joining an enthusiastic team of people
- Be an active part of exceptional educational event
- Develop your teamworking and leadership skills
Most importantly, you will have a fun day!
We very much look forward to working with you.
Our volunteers play a vital role in making The Big Bang Fair a massive success. We are looking for volunteers who are friendly, reliable and enjoy working with young people.
Click on the role title to view a full description of the volunteering tasks and skills required to do them.
Before The Fair (online, November-December 2018)
- Big Bang Competition Online Judge: to provide feedback and assess the student projects online in your area of STEM expertise.
- Big Bang Competition Online Moderator to look at a great variety of projects online and make key decisions against agreed criteria. Previous experience in the Competition required.
At The Fair (The NEC, Birmingham, 13-16 March 2019)
- Activities volunteer to help us ensure our activities at The Fair are facilitated in an engaging and inspirational way.
- Events volunteer to work closely with our events team ensuring that our visitors have a great experience at The Fair.
- Team Leader to support and motivate other volunteers at The Fair, enhancing their experience, and working closely with staff members to achieve this.
- Careers Captain to help run the activities in the Careers Cabin and assist visitors with the Big Bang Challenge, helping young visitors gain a greater understanding of STEM careers.
- STEM Panellist to act as role models and participate in our 20-minute STEM career talks in the Careers Cabin.
- Big Bang Competition Judge to celebrate and assess the Big Bang Competition finalist projects in your area of STEM expertise on 13 March 2019.
- Robotics Challenge Judge to evaluate and reward Tomorrow’s Engineers EEP Robotics Challenge UK finalists on 15 March 2019. View the locations for the regional events here >
Yes! We aim to give all our volunteers a unique experience at The Big Bang Fair. We will provide you with training and support throughout your volunteering role.
For more details about the support we give to our volunteers, please check our Role Descriptions.