Volunteer with us
The Big Bang Fair is the largest celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) for young people in the UK. It takes place every year in Birmingham in mid-March.
Everything we do is aimed at showing young people (primarily aged 7-19) how many exciting and rewarding opportunities there are out there for them with the right experience and qualifications.
We need 100 volunteers each day to support us in the smooth running of The Fair and to ensure that our young visitors have an inspiring experience. With almost 80,000 visitors over 4 days in 2018, The Big Bang Fair simply couldn’t run without the support of our amazing volunteers.
With your passion and energy, you can help open the eyes of young girls and boys to what they can accomplish in STEM.
Volunteering opportunities across 1 to 4 days range from leading volunteer teams and delivering hands-on activities, to sharing careers inspiration and judging student projects.
Over 95% of our volunteers would recommend volunteering with us to a friend or colleague.
When you volunteer with us you will:
- Have a rewarding experience making a difference to young people
- Show young people how their studies could lead to a career in STEM
- Benefit from extensive networking opportunities, joining an enthusiastic team of people
- Be an active part of exceptional educational event
- Develop your teamworking and leadership skills
Most importantly, you will have a fun day!
We very much look forward to working with you.
Our volunteers play a vital role in making The Big Bang Fair a massive success. We are looking for volunteers who are friendly, reliable and enjoy working with young people.
Below are descriptions of the roles we are currently recruiting for, with a run-down of the tasks and skills required to do them.
- Big Bang Competition Online Judge to remotely celebrate, assess and provide feedback on Big Bang Competition online project entries in your area of STEM expertise in November 2019
- Big Bang Competition Online Moderator to remotely take an overview and score Big Bang Competition online project entries in your area of STEM expertise in November/December 2019
Apply via: http://euk.paamapplication.co.uk/euk/
For The Big Bang Fair in March 2020, we have a number of volunteer roles, which will be open for applications in October:
- Volunteer Team Leader to help support our volunteer manager ensuring all volunteers are briefed and supported during their day at The Fair.
- Activities volunteer to help us ensure our activities at The Fair are facilitated in an engaging and inspirational way.
- Events volunteer to work closely with our events team ensuring that our visitors have a great experience at The Fair.
- Research and evaluation volunteer to help us gather information from young people, parents and teachers about their experience of The Fair, their views on STEM education and their perceptions of engineering careers.
- Careers Captain to help run the activities in the Careers Cabin and assist visitors with the Big Bang Challenge, helping young visitors gain a greater understanding of STEM careers.
- STEM Panellist to act as role models and participate in our 20-minute STEM career talks in the Careers Cabin.
- Big Bang Competition Finals Judge to celebrate and assess Big Bang Competition finalist projects in your area of STEM expertise through face-to-face judging at the Finals on 11 March 2020
- Big Bang Competition Finals Moderator to support judges and take an overview of Big Bang Competition finalist projects in your area of STEM expertise at the Finals on 11 March 2020
- Big Bang Competition Finals Head Judge to work closely with the Competition team to support judging processes and volunteers at the Finals on both 11 & 12 March 2020
- Robotics Challenge Judge to evaluate and reward Tomorrow’s Engineers EEP Robotics Challenge UK finalists on 13 March 2020.
- Robotics Challenge Events Volunteer to support the smooth running of Robotics Challenge activities.
Yes! We aim to give all our volunteers a unique experience at The Big Bang Fair. We will provide you with training and support throughout your volunteering role.
For more details about the support we give to our volunteers, please check our Role Descriptions.
The Big Bang Fair 2020 Volunteer Handbook will be available in October.