Volunteer with us
The Big Bang Fair is the largest celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) for young people in the UK. It takes place every year in Birmingham in mid-March.
Everything we do is aimed at showing young people (primarily aged 7-19) how many exciting and rewarding opportunities there are out there for them with the right experience and qualifications.
We need 100 volunteers each day to support us in the smooth running of The Fair and to ensure that our young visitors have an inspiring experience. With almost 80,000 visitors over 4 days in 2018, The Big Bang Fair simply couldn’t run without the support of our amazing volunteers.
Applications for 2019 are now closed
With your passion and energy, you can help open the eyes of young girls and boys to what they can accomplish in STEM.
Volunteering opportunities across 1 to 4 days range from leading volunteer teams and delivering hands-on activities, to sharing careers inspiration and judging student projects.
Over 95% of our volunteers would recommend volunteering with us to a friend or colleague.
When you volunteer with us you will:
- Have a rewarding experience making a difference to young people
- Show young people how their studies could lead to a career in STEM
- Benefit from extensive networking opportunities, joining an enthusiastic team of people
- Be an active part of exceptional educational event
- Develop your teamworking and leadership skills
Most importantly, you will have a fun day!
We very much look forward to working with you.
Our volunteers play a vital role in making The Big Bang Fair a massive success. We are looking for volunteers who are friendly, reliable and enjoy working with young people.
Below are descriptions of each of the volunteering roles available at the 2019 Fair, with a run-down of the tasks and skills required to do them.
- Activities volunteer to help us ensure our activities at The Fair are facilitated in an engaging and inspirational way.
- Events volunteer to work closely with our events team ensuring that our visitors have a great experience at The Fair.
- Research and evaluation volunteer to help us gather information from young people, parents and teachers about their experience of The Fair, their views on STEM education and their perceptions of engineering careers.
- Careers Captain to help run the activities in the Careers Cabin and assist visitors with the Big Bang Challenge, helping young visitors gain a greater understanding of STEM careers.
- STEM Panellist to act as role models and participate in our 20-minute STEM career talks in the Careers Cabin.
- Big Bang Competition Judge to celebrate and assess the Big Bang Competition finalist projects in your area of STEM expertise on 13 March 2019.
- Robotics Challenge Judge to evaluate and reward Tomorrow’s Engineers EEP Robotics Challenge UK finalists on 15 March 2019.
Yes! We aim to give all our volunteers a unique experience at The Big Bang Fair. We will provide you with training and support throughout your volunteering role.
For more details about the support we give to our volunteers, please check our Role Descriptions.
View the Big Bang Volunteer Handbook 2019 here >