Thank you to all our volunteers that made The Big Bang Fair 2018 an inspiring and unique event for our young visitors.
It all started with a big bang!
From the moment the Big Bang Fair started people kept telling me what a vibrant, positive event it was. Almost a week later, people are still telling me the same thing. The reason is clear.
We owe it all to our amazing volunteers.
Whether you welcomed our young visitors with a big smile, engaged with them at our onsite activities, inspired them with what a STEM career had to offer, judged one of the innovative projects or took on a leadership role, well done! Your passion and enthusiasm inspired thousands of children.
I had the opportunity to meet many of you personally and thank you for donating your time to the Big Bang Fair and EngineeringUK. Throughout the four days, staff members have repeatedly told me how much they appreciated your contribution.
This was a super-size event with 20,000 young visitors each day and hundreds of staff members working onsite. Your ability to think on your feet and ensure the smooth delivery of the event was recognised and valued by everyone.
Last week I saw volunteers develop new skills, push themselves beyond their comfort zones and show the world the best versions of themselves. I feel honored to have shared this with you. It’s the reason I wanted to do this job. At EngineeringUK we put a lot of thought into our volunteering programme because we want to make the best use of your talent and give you a sense of satisfaction.
You will achieve many things in your life, and I hope you’ll always remember what you achieved in March 2018. Last week, your commitment and communication skills opened the eyes of young girls and boys to what they can accomplish in science, technology and engineering. People working in these fields help us understand our own planet better and better every day. You helped inspire the next generation to carry on that work.
Last week you achieved something special, and I hope you’re as proud of that as I am. We look forward to welcoming you again next year and once again adding your vibrancy and talent to the best STEM event for young people in the UK.
Volunteer Manager, The Big Bang UK Young Scientists & Engineers Fair
Our volunteers play a vital role in making The Big Bang Fair a massive success. We are looking for volunteers who are friendly, reliable and enjoy working with young people.
Click on the role title to view a full description of the volunteering tasks and skills required to do them.
- The Big Bang Competition Volunteer Judge to celebrate and assess the Big Bang Competition finalist projects in your area of STEM expertise.
- Careers Captain Volunteer to help run our activities, helping young visitors gain a greater understanding of STEM Careers.
- STEM Inspiration Volunteer to be involved in our ‘Meet the Future You’ careers networking activity. This is a fun and interactive activity which provides a fantastic opportunity to bust myths and shine light on the real, working world of STEM.
- The Robotics Challenge Volunteer Judge (Finals) will evaluate and reward Tomorrow’s Engineers EEP Robotics Challenge UK finalists during our exciting hands on event with young students.
- Having a rewarding experience making a difference to young people and inspiring them.
- Showing them how their studies could lead to a career in science, technology, engineering or maths.
- Extensive networking opportunities, joining an enthusiastic team of people.
- Practical and hands-on experience in an exceptional educational event.
- Developing your teamworking and leadership skills.
Most importantly, you will have a fun day!
We aim to give all our volunteers a unique experience at the Big Bang Fair. We will provide you with training and support throughout your volunteering role.
For more details about the support we give to our volunteers, please check our Role Descriptions.
Applications to volunteer at The Big Bang Fair 2019 open in October 2018.